Johannesburg, Soweto City, & Thanda Safari
October 4-13, 2024
Not the sort to watch the world go by? This tour is perfect if you enjoy getting out in the world and being on-the-go! Enjoy longer walking tours and days full of fun activities punctuated with time to rest.
Join WTA in South Africa to explore the sprawling city of Johannesburg before adventuring into the wild bush of the Elephant Coast. Your time in Johannesburg will take you to two significant archaeological sites before you dive deep into the history of neighboring Soweto City. The second part of your tour will take you to Thanda Safari, pleasantly situated on the savannah making your South African safari dreams a reality. With serene surroundings, your luxurious tent accommodations are equipped with the comforts of home and even better views. Daily game drives with our private guide, a visit with the native people of the land, and a visit to the coast will make it difficult to return home!
DAY 1 – October 4 – Arrive at O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB), and private transportation will bring you to the hotel. Meet your group after checking in and toast to a week of adventures ahead with a welcome dinner.
Note: We recommend leaving the US on October 3rd so that your flight arrives the morning of October 4th – early enough to participate in Day 1’s activities. Should you wish to arrive on October 3rd instead, pre-trip hotel charges will be added to your final bill.
DAY 2 – October 5 – FREE Morning to explore Johannesburg. This afternoon, your group will tour a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Cradle of Humankind – a significant site for archeological discoveries. The tour will continue to discover the Sterkfontein Caves. This evening, your group will dine out in Johannesburg.
DAY 3 – October 6 – Leave the hustle and bustle of the city today and learn about the culture and historical significance of Soweto City. Your group will have the opportunity to tour the Apartheid Museum and experience a traditional lunch in Soweto.
DAY 4 – October 7 – Your group leaves Johannesburg to experience life on the safari. A private chartered jet will take your group to Thanda Safari, where you will stay for the remainder of the tour.
DAY 5 – October 8 – Welcome to Thanda Safari! Make yourself at home as you explore the grounds, breathe in the fresh air, and truly relax in pure nature. Your group will have the opportunity to join private wildlife game drives twice each day (once in the early morning and once in the late afternoon) for the chance to scout out The Big 5.
DAY 6 – October 9 – FREE Day. Between the game drives, walk the Thanda Safari grounds, indulge in their Wellness offerings, or relax and enjoy your luxury tent.
DAY 7 – October 10 – Embark on a coastal cruise today to search for hippo and crocodile, before stopping for a restful afternoon at the beach. An intimate dinner in the bush awaits you back at camp to complete an exciting day.
DAY 8 – October 11 – FREE Day. Between the game drives, walk the Thanda Safari grounds, indulge in their Wellness offerings, or relax and enjoy your luxury tent.
DAY 9 – October 12 – FREE Day. One final day to enjoy all that Thanda Safari and South Africa has to offer. More opportunities await to spot fantastic wildlife out on our game drives. This evening, your group will celebrate a week of new friends and wonderful experiences with dinner under the stars.
DAY 10 – October 13 – After one final game drive, a private chartered jet will take you back to O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) for connecting flights to the US. Please book your departure flights from (JNB) for after 5 pm.
*Please note that this is a tentative itinerary and it is subject to change.
- 10 days & 9 nights’ accommodations
- Single occupancy, boutique hotels
- Airport transfer
- Local transportation, including a private charter flight from
- Johannesburg to KwaZulu-Natal
- Tour of Cradle of Humankind and Sterkfontein Caves
- Tour of Soweto City and Apartheid Museum
- Two game drives per day with a professional guide and tracker
- FREE DAYS to explore the Safari
- Daily breakfast, coffee, and tea
- Daily lunch
- Daily dinner
- COVID antigen testing for USA re-entry, if applicable
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Roundtrip airfare from US to O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB)
- Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- Meals not listed above
- Optional excursions and tours not listed above
- Wellness experiences at Thanda Safari
- Gratuities and tips for personal services
Yolima is a horticulturalist originally from Colombia. She lived in Spain and traveled Europe extensively for many years in the early duration of her career. She is a fluent Spanish speaker and dabbles in Italian and French. She enjoys traveling the world and is always up for new adventures! With her extensive knowledge of Europe and South America, and willingness to explore and learn new things, she is unquestionably an adventurous WTA host.
Your trip is a BIG investment. If you cannot afford to lose the money you have invested to travel, for whatever reason, WTA strongly recommends you consider travel insurance. We encourage you to do your due diligence by researching and finding the best plan for YOU.
Suggested Travel Insurance companies are below. Ensure you inquire about a “Cancel for Any Reason” plan.
- Traveler must make a NONREFUNDABLE deposit payment of $400 at time of registration to secure her spot.
- Monthly minimum payment of $400 is required on the first of every month until paid in full to keep your reservations current.
- Final payment must be made 90 days before the trip date.
- A 50% refund can be requested prior to 6 months before the trip start date found in your invoice.
- No refunds for cancellations within 6 months of the trip date found in your invoice.
- A $250 penalty will be charged for any outstanding balance after the final payment date found in your invoice.
- For inquiries, contact wtaadmin@